REPUBLIC OF TURKEY MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND TOURISM BURSA PROVINCIAL DIRECTORATE OF CULTURE AND TOURISM

Museums

The Museum of 17th century Ottoman Houses

The wooden house in the neighborhood of Muradiye across from the Murad II mosque complex bears all the characteristics of a house planned and decorated in the 17th century and is one of the oldest houses in Bursa and without question the most beautiful. It has a vaulted hall opening onto the garden and a basement consisting of two low-ceilinged rooms that were used for winter storage. On the upper floor in what was called the head room, there is an elegant decor with a magnificent wooden cabinet with intricate engravings of flowers and plants and the wooden ceiling decorated with geometric shapes and a six-sided ceiling centerpiece, which reflect the characteristics and beauty of 17th century decorations.

Museum Tel : (+90-224) 222 08 68

Open hours to visit : 08.00-12.00/13.00-17.00

Open days to visit : Everyday exept monday


The Archeological Museum

The museum was first established in 1904 in the Bursa by boys Highschool and was called the Imperial Museum (Hümayun). From 1972 to the present the museum has been located inside the Cultural Park. With many exhibits found in the region of Bithynia and Mysia, it has a cross-section of cultural items from as early as the 3rd millenium BC to the end of the Byzantine era. The most important exhibits are the fired clay ceramics found in the Yortan Graves in the region of Balıkesir (3rd century BC), the stone cutting instruments and bronze hand axes (2nd century BC) and the clay jugs and brooches from the Phrygian era and a Phrygian inscription. In the same display, there two very rare stele in Persian and Greek.

The second salon has stone items from the Roman era. Items of interest here include portrait sculpture of the 2nd century AD and several depictions of the gods: busts of Zeus and some reliefs, reliefs of Herakles and statues of Cybele as well as a altar of Asklepios.

The third salon is an exhibit of items from the classical era. There is a chronological exhibit of ceramic items from the Archaic, Classic, Roman and Byzantine periods. There is also a rich detailed selection of clay figurines and glass-ware from the Roman era taken from the museums collection. Other rare items include a bronze bust of Apollon and a statue of Athena, both of which are Roman.

The fourth salon is a chronological display of coins issued by the cities in the Bithynia and Mysia regions, along with gold and silver coins of the Roman and Byzantine Empires. In the garden are busts of Herakles and Zeus, a lion statue and a rich collection of grave and altar steles. Especially interesting is an exhibition of the finest examples of tomb steles, of Early Roman to Late Byzantine, and sarcophagi belonging to the same age which can be seen here.

Tel : (+90-224) 234 49 18-9

Open hours to visit : 08.00-12.00/13.00-17.00

Open days to visit : Everyday exept monday


The Museum of Türk-İslam Art (Yeşil Medrese)

It was one of the first Ottoman religious schools, the Yeşil Medrese is also known as the Sultaniye Medresesi. A number of famous scholars were trained here in this school, which, along with the Yeşil Külliyesi (mosque complex), was constructed by the architect, Hacı İvaz Paşa, in between 1414 and 1424. It is very similar in design to the religious schools of the Anatolian Selçuks with their open courtyards. The school has 13 rooms with one main vaulted porch (eyvan), two side porches and an entrance porch. In front of the classrooms is a portico which surrounds the courtyard on three sides.

In the building items from the 12th to the 20th century are on display and include ceramics, metal, wood carvings, weapons, hand-written documents, Islamic coins and inscriptions, as well as grave stones and ethnographic items. The ceramic tile decorations in the school are not as abundant as those in the mosque and tomb. The areas decorated with ceramic tile are the vault above the entrance and the ceiling and outer surface of the western vaulted porch.

Tel : (+90-224) 327 76 79

Open hours to visit : 08.00-12.00/13.00-17.00

Open days to visit : Everyday exept monday


Atatürk Museum


This building, which Atatürk stayed in upon his visits to Bursa, was given to him as a gift and he donated it to the city of Bursa in 1938. This two-story building made entirely of wood at the beginning of the 19th century is one of the era's best and most interesting examples of civil architecture. It looks today exactly as it did when it was built. Located on Çekirge street next to the Çelik Palas Hotel, the museum has items that Atatürk himself used and the upper floor, called the 'limonluk' room has a display of photographs of Atatürk.

Tel : (+90-224) 236 48 44

Open hours to visit : 08.00-12.00/13.00-17.00

Open days to visit : Everyday exept monday


Hüsnü Züber House Museum

In the neighborhood of Muradiya, it was first used as a State Guesthouse and then became the Russian Consulate. The 19th century Ottoman house was opened to tourists in 1992. The museum has an extensive collection of branded and burned wood pieces with Ottoman motifs made by the artist Hüsnü Züber.

Müze Tel : (+90-224) 221 35 42

Open hours to visit : 10.00-17.00

Open days to visit : Everyday


The Forestry Museum

The first and only Forestry museum in Turkey, it is known as the Watch Mansion and is located on Çekirge Street. Opened in 1989, there are around 2000 items on display including plant and animal fossils, forestry and communication devices, maps and photographs and documents regarding the history of forestry.

Müze Tel : (+90-224) 234 77 18

Open hours to visit :
08.00-12.00/13.00-17.00

Open days to visit : Everyday exept sunday


Mudanya Mütareke House Museum


The site of the cease-fire agreement signed on October 11 between the government of the Turkish Republic and the Allied forces which brought the Turkish - Greek War to an end, the 19th century house on the coastal road to Mudanya has been used as a museum since 1937. The Art Nouveo style house contains a number of documents and other items related to the War of Independence and the Armistice..

Müze Tel : (+90-224) 544 10 68

Open hours to visit : 08.00-12.00/13.00-17.00

Open days to visit : Everyday exept sunday